Saturday, January 15, 2011

Unity3DStudent Challenge #1 - Solved!

I recently stumbled across a great web site for learning about the Unity 3D game development environment.  The site is called Unity3DStudent and the URL is http://www.unity3dstudent.com/.  This site has short video tutorials and accompanying programming challenges to help new developers come up to speed quickly with Unity.  I really like the format and look forward to more content from the author in the future.

I saw that some people were posting on the Unity3DStudent site that they had some questions about solving the first programming challenge, so I decided to tackle the problem and make a video of the solution.  I have uploaded the video to Vimeo here:  http://vimeo.com/18833048

This video demonstrates how to use Unity to create a cube that is thrown into a wall. When the cube hits the wall a sound is played and the wall is destroyed.

Concepts demonstrated: Adding a force to a rigid body object, collision detection, destroying objects.

This is my first ever video and it could certainly be better, but overall I was surprised at how easy it was to learn Camtasia, which is a really awesome screen recording software application.  I still need to find the best video settings for Vimeo...the resolution was a bit choppy in spots, but it will just require a bit of experimentation to tweak things just right.

I plan to create a similar video demonstrating the solution to programming challenge #2 in the near future.

Peace out,
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment